the great empty
March 31, 2020
The image is of Pope Francis, in Piazza San Pietro, walking up the rise to the outside podium on the evening of March 27. An empty piazza, rain washed steps, a pope alone in a time of plague.
It’s strange for me to use this image, but I know what that space looks like, having been there with thousands, and to see it empty, shimmering and blue let me get over my own prejudices.
In this time of plague
- every sniffle, every cough feels like a symptom
- hand washing and washing, and washing
- avoiding the doom-and-gloom of TV
- avoiding the lies from the WH
- doing FaceTime
- texting morning noon and night