first of spring
February 24, 2023
Though a tremor of the winter
Did shivering through them run;
Yet they lifted up their foreheads
To greet the vernal sun.
- the snowdrops are no where to be seen
- on Thursday, temperatures here reached 70 degrees
- in Los Angeles, low 40s are announcing spring
- in Oxford, Michigan the trees are sheathed in ice
- today, the crocus in the back flower-bed bloomed
- a year ago, Putin invaded Ukraine
- but, Americans are obsessed with an asshole in North Carolina, and an asshole in Florida
- the world has gone topsy-turvy
The stanza, to the right of the image, is from The Crocuses by Frances Ellen Watkins Harper.